Late in 1984 the Southern Area Education Office commenced a program of consultation with the Hallett Cove community with the objective of establishing an R-10 school. In March 1985 a Parents’ Reference Group was formed and in September of that year established itself as an Interim School Council.
Hallett Cove School opened in February. 1987 as the only R-10 school in metropolitan Adelaide. Ms Susan Monks was the school’s first Principal and there were 300 students from Reception to Year 7 on the first day of school. The school grew rapidly and classroom accommodation shortages and zoning issues were topics of conversation throughout 1988 – 89.
Dr Peter Jackson was the second Principal of the school and commenced duties mid-way through the 1990 school year. For the first time in its short history the school had all of its solid buildings available and all of its levels. R- 10, in place.
An opening ceremony for the school occurred on May 17, 1991 with the Hon.. Greg Crafler. Minister of Education officiating. During 1991 a reference group recommended to the Minister of Education that Hallett Cove School provide Years 11 and 12 education. The decision to add senior secondary education to the school was made in 1992.
The school had its third principal, Mr Jim Davies. appointed in 1993. Year 11 studies commenced in 1995 and Year 12 in 1996, making Hallett Cove School metropolitan Adelaide’s third R-12 school. A major building project occurred throughout 1995-96-97 to cater for the addition of the senior secondary curriculum.
Mary Asikas is currently the principal and has lead the school for 6 years beginning in 2012. The school has established a clear vision, a set of values and 4 Strategic Directions to ensure the school is delivering education to be a globally competitive and meeting the needs of 21st Century Learners.
|Strategic Direction 1: Literacy
- Improve literacy achievement in SACE, NAPLAN and PAT R
- Improve literacy through a whole school approach
|Strategic Direction 2: Numeracy
- Improve numeracy achievement in SACE, NAPLAN and PAT R
- Improve numeracy through a whole school approach
|Strategic Direction 3: Growth Mindset
- Growth Mindset is embedded across R-12 through consistent language and strategies
- Student Voice in Learning opportunities empower students
|Strategic Direction 4: STEM/PBL
- The DECD Design Process informs STEM/PBL pedagogy
- STEM initiative enhances opportunities for integrated learning, interdisciplinary planning and authentic problem solving
*information gathered from website on 26/02/2019